Hospital St, Jaffna
info@thjaffna.lk

History of Teaching Hospital Jaffna

The Friend in Need Society Hospital at Jaffna, established by Ackland Dyke, the Government Agent, N.P., with the assistance of Dr.Green and in collaboration with the Friend-in-Need Society of Jaffna. This hospital has grown into what is now the Teaching Hospital, Jaffna. From 1850-1907, the medical staff of the Friend-in-Need Society Hospital were drawn almost totally from the graduates of Dr.Green’s Medical School.Dr.Samuel Green was a surgical giant of his days and was the first Visiting Surgeon of the Friend-in-Need Society Hospital.


The Friend-in-Need Society Hospital administered by the Friend-in-Need Society of Jaffna as a voluntary one in 1907 came under Civil Medical Department of the Government. The Civil Medical Department was the successor of the Military Medical Department of the Nineteenth Century. The hospital was renamed the Jaffna Civil Hospital.

ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF

Dr.S.Sribavanandarajah

DEPUTY DIRECTOR

Dr.C.Jamunanantha

DEPUTY DIRECTOR

Mr.K.Sureshkumar

Accountant

Mr.A.S.Prashath

SECRETARY

Mrs.V.Sarveswaran

ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER